Some people enjoy the crisp, clean lines of modern landscaping; others prefer their backyard to have a little more life and wildness. If you’re interested in attracting wildlife such as birds and squirrels to your backyard, Rhine Landscaping has a few tips to help you get started. Before you know it, your backyard will look like a scene right out of a nature book!
Birds in Your Backyard
Birds have some great benefits for your backyard – birds help decrease the bug population, and some birds will chase away pests and predators like squirrels and mice. If you’re interested in attracting birds to your backyard, the first step is to set up a number of bird feeders. If you want a variety of birds to visit your backyard, you should place several feeding stations of different types around your yard. Common types of feeders include:
- Platform feeders will attract ground-feeding birds, such as quails, native American sparrows, doves, towhees, juncos, and cardinals
- Hanging feeders are for perching birds, such as larks, swallows, shrikes, wrens, thrushes, warblers, blackbirds, tits, and finches
- Suet feeders are for insect-eating birds, such as blackbirds, bluebirds, sparrows, crows, and wrens
Listed below are the foods that will generally attract specific birds:
- Sunflower Seeds – Songbirds
- Suet – Woodpeckers
- Nuts – Blue Jays, Magpies and Titmice
- Nectar or Sugar Water – Hummingbirds
You don’t have to alter your landscaping dramatically in order to attract more birds to your yard. Just make sure the feeders are full, and enjoy the view!
Ready for the Landscaping professionals to lend you a hand?
If you think you’re ready to start getting your yard back to all of its verdant glory then you can contact Rhine Landscaping by giving us a call at 410-442-2445. We’ve got the knowledge your lawn needs to get it ready for summer. You can also contact us on our website. We can help you plan, plant, and create the yard of your dreams. You can also check out our blogs to stay on top of landscaping trends and tips.